Sunday, March 20, 2011

Soundgarden... Down On The Upside

File:Soundgarden-DownOnTheUpside.jpg


Released: May 21, 1996
Recorded: November 1995 – February 1996 at Studio Litho and Bad Animals Studio, Seattle, Washington

_______________________________________________________________________


Ok this is the second entry here and it looks like it’s just 90's music. But this is an album that I had as a kid, which was destroyed by constant playing over and over again. (CD’s were an inferior format that begged to be replaced by something cheap and reliable) 

This is a great album that always set me at ease, even though it didn’t really make an impression on anyone else, but me. It’s sad that somewhere around a year later that they were calling it quits after 13 years. I remember reading about in Rolling Stone magazine that the bands, back when print was actually important.

People complained that the album wasn’t as good as “Superunknown”. But you can’t always do the same thing twice and for a band that had been around for a while doing something different wasn’t a bad idea. In this album I could hear allot of the bands influences and it really opened my ear to music that before my generation and in genres that I didn’t grow up with. There are elements that I can hear of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath in the songs “No Attention” mad “Unkind”. Not all the songs were meant for mainstream radio like for example “Ty Cobb” and “Boot Camp”.

It starts kind of slow for some and artsy, but I think it ends well almost like it was fitting for the bands end (at the time). Looking back at it now, it makes me think if the band still has life in it to do something like this again. Let’s hope threes still something in the tank for a new album. And its not a rehashing of old material or another live album.






1 comment:

  1. shit i forgot to add the track list

    1. "Pretty Noose” 4:12
    2. "Rhinosaur" 3:14
    3. "Zero Chance" 4:18
    4. "Dusty" 4:34
    5. "Ty Cobb” 3:05
    6. "Blow Up the Outside World” 5:46
    7. "Burden In My Hand” 4:50
    8. "Never Named" 2:28
    9. "Applebite" 5:10
    10. "Never the Machine Forever" 3:36
    11. "Tighter & Tighter" 6:06
    12. "No Attention" 4:27
    13. "Switch Opens" 3:53
    14. "Overfloater" 5:09
    15. "An Unkind" 2:08
    16. "Boot Camp" 2:59


    Sunday something new will be posted

    ReplyDelete