Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clinic... Do It!


Released: April 7, 2008
Label: Domino Records
___________________________________________
Honestly I can’t remember where I first of the band Clinic, but I can say I was blown away by the simple sounds of the guitars and vocals. Like psychedelic 60’s band that did get beyond a grind house movie, until they were already done and past their time.

After I heard the song Tomorrow I felt like was in a bar just passing the time and the only thing that was keeping me from passing out, from boredom or being drunk was this song. The pacing and the lyrics really get my mind moving to were words just flow out of me (namely with a drink in hand… they don’t call me Drunk Poet for nothing). There’s some good emotion in this song of kind of optimism.

Free not free sound like it should be on the Art Laboe radio show with its slow tender vocals that suggest a sexier meaning. And the clarinet towards the end of the song only reinforces that idea in my mind. The only thing that keeps from believing it’s an oldie is the jarring guitars that ground it somewhere else

I hear newer bands trying to steal the sound of this song allot more these days, but Corpus Christi will always be the original. Once again with the 60’s style that speaks to me in this song makes me think of a dim bar with this band play and psychedelic show going on in the background.

Oh yeah this week I want to give a shout out to my Buddy Lysander of Bastidas and The Pinata Hour fame. Thank you for taking my drunk call last week.
___________________________________________
1. Memories
2. Tomorrow
3. The Witch (Made to Measure)
4. Free Not Free
5. Shopping Bag
6. Corpus Christi
7. Emotions
8. High Coin
9. Mary and Eddie
10.Winged Wheel
11.Coda





No comments:

Post a Comment