Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Pixies... Surfer Rosa

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/SurferRosa.jpg

Released: March 21, 1988
Recorded: December 1987 at Q-Division in Boston, Massachusetts
Length: 32:50
Label: 4AD
Producer: Steve Albini
_______________________________________________________
Ok so back in the day before everybody finally discovered The Pixies, I use to listen to Rodney on Roq just to hear crazy sounds before they were on the regular rotation. Where is my mind is the first song I remember listening to back in like 1994… yeah I know Rodney at the time use to come on before and after Loveline at the time, but his show was the best where you could find awesome bands like The Pixies.

Yeah I know everybody knows that song from Fight Club great movie, but there were more songs on that album than just that one like Gigantic. I love this song it really reminds of the time I spent alone after high school working as a security in a little shack in the industrial side of Brea. I had only a little boombox to pass the time and it only played stations from San Diego or AM stations… go figure. But the cool thing about that boombox, was that it had a tape deck that I could play my Rodney on the Roq mixtape, the Pixies were on that tape more than once I can say for sure.

Yeah I’m kinda fixated on the 90’s era of music… well it’s because that’s the era I grew up in, and the decade that followed it didn’t have anything that got my attention (well at least on the radio). That period had allot moody music and strange sounds that haven’t really been repeated since like Brick is Red… something about this song really sounds like that period of time. Weezer kinda has that sound in some of their old songs and the way that the guitar hums at 1:03 really sounds like something Blur would do.

Ok so the Pinata Hour is back so you should listen to Lee do interviews and play music that is too badass for the radio...

All thanks for reading and remember boys and girls to PASS IT ON
_______________________________________________________

All tracks written by Black Francis, except where noted.
  1. "Bone Machine" – 3:02
  2. "Break My Body" – 2:05
  3. "Something Against You" – 1:47
  4. "Broken Face" – 1:30
  5. "Gigantic" (Francis/Kim Deal) – 3:45
  6. "River Euphrates" – 2:33
  7. "Where Is My Mind?" – 3:53
  8. "Cactus" – 2:16
  9. "Tony's Theme" – 1:52
  10. "Oh My Golly!" – 1:48
  11. "Vamos" – 4:18
  12. "I'm Amazed" – 1:42
  13. "Brick Is Red" – 2:00





No comments:

Post a Comment