Sunday, April 3, 2011

Elvis Costello... My Aim is True

File:MyAim isTrue.jpg

Released: July 22, 1977 (UK) March 1978 (U.S.)
Recorded: Pathway Studios, London, 1976–1977
Length: 32:56
________________________________________________________________

OK this one came out of nowhere, like the URL implies (Rerun from Nowhere). This week's choice is a great example of what this blog is about. This album is something that most people didn't hear often enough, but have an idea of who Elvis Costello is. I didn't grow up listening to him, nor did most of my friends, but being older and having more access to music, I can truly appreciate this music.

Great start with the song "Welcome to the working week" strong fast start, that gives a brighter look to the start of a week (well at least it makes me feel like that). The line "welcome to the working week... I know it don't thrill you... I hope it don't kill you" seems fitting for the start of a week. this is another song i can play on repeat for more than a few turns, just a shame that its a short song.

"Miracle Man" and "Blame it on Cain" are great songs that I find myself singing allot of times. With these 2 songs it doesn't seem like a song that I’d associate with music from the 70's, but then again most of the songs on this album don’t give me an impression of the 70's. It gives me a 50's bubblegum feel till "Alison" (which makes me think, if there was the one that got away, this song would be the theme song), there's allot of soul in this song... can anyone say drunken karaoke? This song is the one that drew me to this album (thank you Shazam... back when you were actually cool).

"Watching the Detectives" is a single that was released along with the song "Alison" on a vinyl. I know this is a song that allot of stations play allot, but honestly I didn't like it, seems kind of boring to me. "Watching the Detectives" maybe the only Elvis Costello song my generation will know, so this may bring it to a new audience (which I hope it does).

OK this is a good album, but I will say this up front, not everyone will like this album. There are great songs, mixed in with songs that just seem like fillers to me. Great lyrics in most of the songs, that worth are listening to.

1. "Welcome to the Working Week" – 1:22
2. "Miracle Man" – 3:31
3. "No Dancing" – 2:39
4. "Blame It on Cain" – 2:49
5. "Alison" – 3:21
6. "Sneaky Feelings" – 2:09
7. "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" – 2:47
8. "Less Than Zero" – 3:15
9. "Mystery Dance" – 1:38
10. "Pay It Back" – 2:33
11. "I'm Not Angry" – 2:57
12. "Waiting for the End of the World" – 3:22
13. "Watching the Detectives" – 3:45
14. "Radio Sweetheart" – 2:25
15. "Stranger in the House" – 3:01
16. "Imagination (Is a Powerful Deceiver)" – 3:38



Ok and BTW forgive the videos, these were the best videos available on Youtube without be a cover or having poor audio
________________________________________________________________






No comments:

Post a Comment