Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bill Callahan... Apocalypse

File:Apocalypsbillcallahanealbum.jpg
Released: April 5, 2011
Length: 40:24
_______________________________________

This album really came out of nowhere… I only had Bill Callahan’s live alum Rough Travel for a rare thing for a few months, before I found this album. I first discovered Bill Callahan from Blalock’s Indie Rock Playlist (http://www.birp.fm/) back in 2009, since then I’ve been a fan.

Every time I get a new Bill Callahan album there’s always a song that really sticks, and Apocalypse didn’t disappoint with Drover to start the set. I get allot of images in my head when I hear this song, mostly of riding a horse across the U.S. before the states joined the union. It may seem like a lonely song but it gives me the feeling of persevering with the line “Yeah one thing about this wild, wild country, It takes a strong, strong, It breaks a strong, strong mind, Yeah one thing about this wild, wild country, It takes a strong, strong, It breaks a strong, strong mind” and it reflects the wild of America that has been lost in recent generations to gentrification (America is beautiful even some people are idiots).

To keep the strong lyrics comes Baby’s breath, this one may seem kind of obvious about the one that got away because of fear and mistrust and not realizing it, till it’s all over and done. The guitars remind me an old country song that Cash may have sung at one point. It’s a cleaver song anyway you look at.

Riding for the feeling needs no reason to explain how awesome this song is. Yeah it’s a slow song but it makes you really want go out on the road and see what’s in the next day or city. There’s always some story to be told and people to hear just for the feeling called living. These three songs that I’ve mentioned are the ones that always get played 3 or 4 times in a row when this album is playing throughout the day.
_______________________________________

1."Drover" - 5:24
2."Baby's Breath" - 5:30
3."America!" - 5:33
4."Universal Applicant" - 5:53
5."Riding for the Feeling" - 6:05
6."Free's" - 3:13
7."One Fine Morning" - 8:46






No comments:

Post a Comment