Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Smiths... The Smiths

File:The Smiths The Smiths.jpg

Released: February 20, 1984
Recorded: Spring – Autumn 1983
___________________________________________
Ok I grew up hating Morrissey and The Smiths, mostly because my older second cousin Joe, use to play them non-stop morning noon and night. Also I felt they didn't have much balls, too la la la sounding. But some of it ended up sticking in the nostalgic part of my brain, and because of that I get thrown back to the mid 90’s sitting in a garage, helping him work on his Chevy Nova while The Smiths tape was playing.

Pretty Girls Make Graves has had a deeper meaning with me in the past when I get all angsty after breaking up with a girl… we all get Emo at some point in time. Example “I'm not the man you think I am I'm not the man you think I am” and “I lost my faith in Womanhood” seem like a perfect example of being angry about things ending.

Good thing it doesn’t last forever, because This Charming Man comes on a few tracks later. Makes it seem like alright you’ve cried about nothing for a while, now get over it. Brings a better mood out of me when the guitar chimes in. makes me smile because I’ve said that a couple of times. (Ok this one isn’t on the original album but was an EP that predated this album. But it’s a good song and is on the copy of the album I have)

I don’t owe you anything makes me feel like where the night ends and everyone pairs off, last call song. Its how things cool down before people have to go back to being themselves after playing a part they aren’t always because that dance gets old and tiring.

I really like this album because it's mellow and it brings me back to being a kid. and its not because every Mexican kid loves Morrissey.

___________________________________________
1."Reel Around the Fountain" – 5:58
2."You've Got Everything Now" – 3:59
3."Miserable Lie" – 4:29
4."Pretty Girls Make Graves" – 3:42
5."The Hand That Rocks the Cradle" – 4:38
6."Still Ill" – 3:23
7."Hand in Glove" – 3:25
8."What Difference Does It Make?" – 3:51
9."I Don't Owe You Anything" – 4:05
10."Suffer Little Children" – 5:28






No comments:

Post a Comment