Sunday, March 18, 2012

Ralfi Pagan... Legend


_______________________________________________________
This week's pick Ralfi Pagan, really hits a special note with me. And I'd assume it does with most Chicano's that grew up in the 80's and 90's. I remember riding around with my Dad and him playing a beat up old tape with some random Ralfi Pagan songs, I remember thinking the tape was gonna die at any point, because it sounded like it barely survived from the 70's. It wasn't till I heard a CD version of "Make it with you" that I realized that it wasn't the tape that had bad quality but the original recording and that made me laugh.

And it wasn't till I was an adult that I could really appreciate the lyrics of "Look at Her". I just always knew it was soulful and had a great melody, but now I really feel those words of loss. We all go through it at some point in our lives, where things don't always end up the way we want them to in relationships, either by taking it for granted or something else. It when your on the outside looking do you want it back and that's what this song means to me now.

Yeah it seem like I'm picking sad songs to highlight, but a majority of Ralfi Pagan's songs were pretty sad, he was a crooner, and that's what he's know for. "I Never thought you'd leave me" sounds like a lonely rainy day with all the lights off and this song playing on repeat. I love it in spite of that, and when he starts singing in Spanish near the end of the song, it just gets deeper.

This is one that I know many people have already but there are some people who didn't get to appreciate it growing up so with that I must say PASS IT ON


Also don't forget about LEE @ The Pinata Hour this Wednesday






_______________________________________________________
1. No Soy De Ti
2. Ooo Baby
3. Make It With You
4. To Say I Love You
5. Don't Stop Now
6. Look at Her
7. Hijo de Mama, El
8. Negrita
9. I'd Have You Anytime
10.I Never Thought You'd Leave Me
11.Didn't Want To Have To Do It
12.What a Wonderful Thing We Have
13.Just For A Little While
14.I Could Never Hurt You Girl
15.Just One of Your Kisses (Un Besito)
16.Who Is the Girl for Me





No comments:

Post a Comment