Sunday, October 9, 2011

PJ Harvey...Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Stories_From_The_City%2C_Stories_From_The_Sea.jpg
Released: October 23, 2000

Recorded: March–April 2000
Length: 47:25
Label: Island
Producer: Rob Ellis, Mick Harvey, PJ Harvey
___________________________________________________________
With this album that I choose this week PJ Harvey’s Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea. I can say that this is the sexiest and smartest songwriter I’ve heard in my life. This woman has soul in her voice and lyrics that make you think about yourself and where you’re going.

Shit that’s how it made me feel, I remember when I first heard This is love from a music video she made. I was working a truly dead end job as a security guard during the graveyard shift, in some shitty industrial park somewhere, remembering some girl that I never got to love. With this song it made me think that I was giving up with this job and that I was only existing without a purpose. I soon quit the job to go back to school full time (which I later dropped out after 2 months lol). But it still has allot of soul in it to me and Pj Harvey is just fucking sexy in the video.

As I went through the album later on, and after I quit that job, I could see that my life was only beginning and there was still soo much more to do, than sit still watching everyone around me doing nothing as well. The song Good Fortune made me want to get out of my barrio to do something unexpected and that the pains that were to be would make the good parts even sweeter… that would be my Good Fortune. Hearing it again and listening to the lyrics, makes me think that I've never been in Love just Lust or Complacency... maybe one day I'd have that.

And from those days of lust or complacency I could hear myself waking to Horses in My Dreams. Picking up the pieces of myself that I let get tangled up in forcing things. I always felt like I was like a charging beast getting away, trying to hide feelings until they didn’t mean anything anymore. We all get a little dirty dealing with others and we got pull away. Well that’s what I got out of this song during the last 10 years.

This week before I cut you all lose, I would like to thank everyone, who has taken the time to read my thoughts and feelings about albums that strike me at the right time I appreciate it.

Also I would ask that you PASS IT ON (Meaning to share and make someone else read this) and to check out my buddy LEE's show the Pinata Hour
___________________________________________________________

All lyrics and music by PJ Harvey.
  1. "Big Exit" - 3:51
  2. "Good Fortune" - 3:20
  3. "A Place Called Home" - 3:43
  4. "One Line" - 3:14
  5. "Beautiful Feeling" - 4:00
  6. "The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore" - 4:01
  7. "This Mess We're In" (featuring Thom Yorke) - 3:57
  8. "You Said Something" - 3:19
  9. "Kamikaze" - 2:24
  10. "This Is Love" - 3:48
  11. "Horses in My Dreams" - 5:38
  12. "We Float" - 6:07
  13. "This Wicked Tongue" - 3:42 (UK & Japan bonus track)





No comments:

Post a Comment