Monday, May 28, 2012

Jeff Buckley... Grace


Released: August 23, 1994
Recorded: Late 1993–1994 Bearsville Recording Studio (Woodstock, New York)
Length:51:44
Label: Columbia
Producer: Jeff Buckley, Andy Wallace
____________________________________________________________________________
Very few albums can get me from my different moods, but Jeff Buckley's Grace really hits me. Hearing the first track "Mojo Pin" can mean different things to me at different times, like a victory or a goodbye. It has a soul that is obvious and has an aggression that really speak to me in different ways, because of the slow start and the harder elements that scream to you.

Have you ever left something that meant more by leaving? ...Afterwards you just play it over and over in your mind, and it makes you angry to have to be that mature about things. I myself was there just over 4 years ago when I walked out on something that was going nowhere, and every time I hear "Last Goodbye", I remember that day. It was hot and uncomfortable, not because of the heat but having to leave something that was floating for 2 years, you just run as fast as you can to do right in life.

Everybody talks about "So Real", because everyone feels like its a prophecy Jeff Buckley sang about his life. But to me it feels like an epiphany of what your destiny is suppose to be and how far you are off that path. There are real emotions in this song that make those feelings stronger for me.

To me the 90's had a gritty honesty, that's been taken over by a glossy veneer. All of everything that the 90's were to me are encapsulated in the song "Hallelujah:. I know that Jeff Buckley didn't write this song, but it really felt the darker and truer things, that aren't here in this modern prepackaged reality. I actually like this version better than the Leonard Cohen version because it's simpler.

With all of that being said, I hope all of you young kids give this album a chance and to PASS IT ON to your friends... Like I share about my friend LEE at the Pinata Hour 


____________________________________________________________________________
1.Mojo Pin                                         Jeff Buckley, Gary Lucas                              5:42
2.Grace                                              Jeff Buckley, Gary Lucas                              5:22
3.Last Goodbye                                 Jeff Buckley                                                  4:35
4.Lilac Wine                                      James Shelton                                                4:32
5.So Real                                          Jeff Buckley, Michael Tighe                            4:43
6.Hallelujah                                       Leonard Cohen                                              6:53
7.Lover, You Should've Come Over Jeff Buckley                                                    6:43
8.Corpus Christi Carol                     Traditional, Benjamin Britten                            2:56
9.Eternal Life                                   Jeff Buckley                                                     4:52
10.Dream Brother                          Jeff Buckley, Mick Grondahl, Matt Johnson       5:26




No comments:

Post a Comment