Sunday, July 31, 2011

Miles Davis... Get Up With It

File:Miles Davis get up with it.png
Released: November 22, 1974
Recorded: May 1970 - October 1974 at Columbia Studios B and E (NYC)

Length: 123:52
Label: Columbia/Legacy
Producer: Teo Macero
_____________________________________
Ok this doesn’t happen too often to me, where I can listen to a single song over and over again for the entirety of the day. But there was some kind of addiction with Miles Davis’s song “He Loved Him Madly” yeah it goes on for over half an hour but it’s very visual when you’re driving around southern California. This song is the soundtrack to L.A. for me; there are a few different movies that could be made about this song.

And to think this song was a tribute to Miles Davis’s friend Duke Ellington, I could see all the session players, contributing their love for Duke Ellington in my head, with Miles sitting towards the back in contemplation, while hovering over the organ playing very lightly, till about the last ten minutes of the song he just explodes and can’t contain the emotions he feels, about his missing friend. You can hear the emotion rumbling out of that song… very powerful.

I didn’t even listen to any other songs on this album till about the third day, that’s how powerful “He Loved Him Madly” is. But when I finally got around to listening to the rest of the album, “Red China Blues” came out from where I thought all the energy was lost. Straight Blues in this track, reminds me of Cowboy Bebop with the harmonica and the guitars… good stuck had me going back for more and more all week.

I guess with the end of the 60’s into the beginning of the 70’s, musicians listened to jazz and were inspired by the new exciting sounds of Legends. Then to think a living Legend at the time Miles Davis was inspired by the sounds you make. Take the Mtume I hear allot of Santana and Hendrix in it, but I can still hear the inspiration that still lives today. And it’s awesome I just hope that the next generation can appreciate the past like I do.


One last thing I gotta say about this album is that it was a major influence on Brian Eno and his Ambient music that he helped develop especially “He Loved Him Madly”.

Im gonna end this weeks selection like I’ve been doing by say to PASS IT ON and to share with everyone. Also don’t forget to check out my buddy Lee’s show the Pinata Hour

_____________________________________


and Part II

Part III

Part IV

No comments:

Post a Comment