Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pavement... Brighten the Corners

File:BrightentheCorners.jpg
Released: February 11, 1997
Recorded: July 15-30, 1996, Piedmont Triad Studio[1]
Length:46:10
Label: Matador Records (1999-present), Matador Records/Capitol Records (1997-1998)
Producer: Pavement, Mitch Easter
__________________________________________________

This week’s selection was harder than most from the heat or the hangover, I don’t know but I had two albums I wanted to write about Charles MingusThe Black Saint and the Sinner Lady” and Pavements Bright the Corners” both are really good.

The only reason I think Pavement won out this week, is because when I hear Shady Lane it reminds of being 13years old waiting for love line to finish, so I could listen to Rodney on the Rock to hear music from all over that the day DJ’s never even touched. That’s actually how I heard Pavement, they were on love line one night while I was waiting, and I feel in love with the song I still got the cassette with a radio recording of that song some where in my mess.

I really hate summer because of the heat and the lack of AC. Music makes it tolerable to get through and sometimes there will be a song that makes me feel it’s not hot. Old to Begin makes summer cool down especially with the line “I don’t need your summary acts, summary acts” which I always believed was “I don’t need your summery acts, summery acts”. Because of that it was always an anti summer song to me easing my discomfort.

Opening up a new week with Passat Dream makes my world seem cinematic, like the week is just a montage to get the real story. It has an even flow that makes every transition easily. I always want to sing this song when I’m driving but I always forget the world because I just get caught up in the music.

I love this Album its one that gets played allot on my playlist and I have a copy that's 20 tracks deep, thank God I don't use tapes any more for that reason alone. So for this one I will say PASS IT ON and share it with everyone, your neighbors, your Priest, your Rabbi, or what have you.

Also Check out my Buddy Lee's show The Pinata Hour
Photobucket
__________________________________________________
All songs written by Stephen Malkmus, otherwise noted.

"Stereo" - 3:07
"Shady Lane / J vs. S" - 3:50
"Transport Is Arranged" - 3:52
"Date w/ IKEA" - 2:39 (Scott Kannberg)
"Old to Begin" - 3:22
"Type Slowly" - 5:20
"Embassy Row" - 3:51
"Blue Hawaiian" - 3:33
"We Are Underused" - 4:12
"Passat Dream" - 3:51 (Scott Kannberg)
"Starlings of the Slipstream" - 3:08
"Fin" - 5:24 (Listed as "Infinite Spark" on non-US pressings)





No comments:

Post a Comment